paraplegic instead of infertile? (author unknown)
2. You can’t use your legs? Boy, I wish I was paralyzed. I get so tired of
walking, and if I were paralyzed I wouldn’t have to walk anywhere!
3. My cousin was paralyzed, but she started shaving her legs in the other
direction and she could walk again. You should try that.
4. I guess God just didn’t mean for you to be able to walk.
5. Oh, I know exactly how you feel, because I have an ingrown toenail.
6. Sorry, we don’t cover treatment for paraplegia, because it’s not a
7. So… when are *you* going to start walking?
8. Oh, I have just the opposite problem. I have to walk walk walk – everywhere
9. But don’t you *want* to walk?
10. You’re just trying too hard. Relax and you’ll be able to walk.
11. You’re so lucky… think of the money you save on shoes.
12. I don’t know why you’re being so selfish. You should at least be happy that
*I* can walk.
13. I hope you don’t try those anti-paralysis drugs. They sometimes make people
run too fast and they get hurt.
14. Look at those people hiking… doesn’t that make you want to hike?
15. Just relax, you’ll be walking in no time.
16. Oh do my legs hurt, I was walking and walking and going up and down the
stairs all day.
17. I broke my leg skiing, and was on crutches for weeks, and was worried I’d
have a permanent limp, but I’m 100% healed.
18. I’d ask you to be in my wedding party but the wheelchair will look out of
place at the altar.
19. You’re being selfish, not coming on the hike with us, and looking at all of
my track & field trophies.
20. Don’t complain, you get all the good parking places.
21. If you just lose weight your legs will work again.
22. If you would just have more sex, you could walk!
23. You don’t know how to walk? What’s wrong with you? Here let a real man show
you how to walk!
24. You are just trying too hard to walk. Give up, and then you’ll walk.
25. Here, touch my legs, then you’ll walk!
26. Just take a vacation, and the stress-break will be sure to get you walking!
27. When *we* were young we only had to worry about having to walk too much.
28. And I bet a paraplegic going to a bookstore doesn’t find books about
paralysis stacked next to all the books on running…
So here’s a little hint. If someone you know tells you that she’s trying to get
pregnant and it’s taking longer than expected, DON’T tell her to just relax.
Don’t tell her to adopt and then surely she’ll get pregnant with her own child. Don’t say, “At least it’s fun
trying!” Scheduling sex with the person you love isn’t fun. Getting
vaginal ultrasounds every other day and intramuscular injections in your derriere twice a day isn’t fun. Finding out every single month that – yet again – it
didn’t work this month either is Just. Not. Fun.
DO tell her that you’re sorry she’s going through such pain/grief/frustration.
Do tell her that you’re glad she told you. Do tell her that, even if you don’t
bring it up (because you want to respect her privacy and understand that she
might not feel like talking about it sometimes), that you’re there for her if
she ever wants to talk or vent.
And DON’T feel that because she told you that it’s okay for you to tell your
other friends, children, co-workers, neighbors, cousins, mailman, whomever –
unless she tells you that it’s okay to do so. Your need to share news pales in
comparison to her need to maintain a shred of privacy and dignity.