I’ve been meaning to post an update for this particular topic for quite a while now, but that giant thing called LIFE has majorly gotten in the way of me doing so. But, here ya go. Everything you want to know about our current house situation. Coming right up.
This all started back in Februaryish, as I’m sure you remember. We’ve talked about selling our current home, basically since we bought it. Our plan wasn’t for this to be our “forever home”. It was supposed to be our “first home” and our “start a family home” and then our “quick and easy to sell home”.
Well, I guess 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
We’re those crazy people who stalk realtor.com….always. We almost bought a different home back in the fall of 2011 but a family with post tornado insurance money beat us to it. Ever since then, we’ve had a general idea of what we want to buy and what we’re willing to spend to do so. We really decided to crack down early this year when it became clear that fertility treatments would no longer be happening and no other children seemed to be happening either. We were happy and willing to move into a fixer upper for the right price tag as long as it met our other requirements:
We found the first one that fit the ticket in March…..but then after a horrible inspection we canceled our offer.
We found the second one that fit the ticket in May and listed our house right before we made our first offer.
And we waited. And waited. And waited. And dropped the price. And waited. And added a sellers bonus. And waited. And dropped the price. And waited.
And it just. wasn’t. happening.
The first month of our listing we did have quite a bit of activity and a whole lot of “your house was our second favorite”. But after that? Hardly anything.
It was SO frustrating. And it just didn’t make any sense.
Then in September our contract on the first house ended. We went to them and asked if we could renegotiate even lower than we previously had our contract so that we could lower the price on ours even more just to get this over and done with. Their realtor replied with something to the effect of, “Well. We believe that we have this listing priced fairly.”
So, that’d be a no then. Oookay.
We spent some time looking at some other houses that fit our criteria and they just weren’t it. It wasn’t working.
After our most recent price reduction we didn’t even have ONE call. Not a single one.
After a bit of pouting(on my part. I’m good at that.) we finally decided to take our house off of the market.
We weren’t happy with how low we’d dropped the price on our home. Our home has value, you know? And we wouldn’t have been overly thrilled with any offer that came in around it. And of course, there was the future hopeful house that had initially been an awesome financial move that suddenly became a stretch thanks to no activity on our listing. So we pulled it.
And then a little over a week later I found out I was pregnant.
One of my very first prayers?
“Thank you God for not making me move into a fixer upper while I was sick and pregnant.”
You don’t always get clarity or a reason for why something isn’t working. Sometimes, you just take your house off the market and always wonder why it never sold. But thankfully, this time, we got the greatest reason ever.
So, now I’m spending my afternoons sitting in that future nursery thinking about all of the creative ways we can make the things we have work and all of the wonderful memories we’re going to get to continue making in our current house for a little while longer.
I don’t doubt that we’ll end up in a different house someday. Maybe even as soon as next year. Who knows. We just know that it isn’t right now. And we’re okay with that.